Monday, August 9, 2010

30 Things I know at 30

Just recently I celebrated the big 3-0. I was a bit freaked out the week before, but as I got closer to the birthday I realized that hey, I've done a lot, I've learned a lot and it's been a blast. I thought I'd share some of my little tidbits of wisdom (or something like it) for your enjoyment. And 12 years later, I still stick to this Mark Twain quote, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."



1. Travel is addictive and wonderful and throws you out of your comfort zone. Do it.




2. Being an aunt rocks. I've been lucky enough to be the one and only aunt (well, by blood anyway!) to a most amazing niece for the past 3 years. It's even better than puppies and chocolate. Really.



3. You really do get better looking with age. Compare and contrast.



4. I love school. And yes, I am a bit of a nerd.


5. I can travel all by myself. And not get lost. Who knew?


6. Frolicking is always a good idea.


7. Learn how to say no, and learn to be okay with it.


8. Sometimes you just need a good cry.


9. I love to cook. I love to bake. I love to cook and bake for people.




10. Every adult is really a kid at heart.



11. I have an amazing family. We can laugh together. We not only love each other, but like each other.




12. I am competitive. Sports, biking, card playing...you name it. I like to win and I don't like to lose.




13. Everyone should have to work in customer service at some point.


14. Sticking your hand up a dead chicken's butt is gross. But the end result is good.



15. I will never get tired of watching Friends re-runs.


16. Sometimes you should have dreams like "I want to be a tennis player and have a pink racket and pink shoes".


17. Wearing a sombrero is often a good idea.



18. If you need to feel good (and there are no nieces around), hold a puppy.


19. Drumming is great stress relief. And so is making music in general. And so is hitting people with clarinets.









20. There are jobs in music other than teaching and performing.


21. Speeding down a huge hill on your bike never gets old.


22. Love truly is grand.



23. Life is much better when you have good friends to share it with.










24. Paying the equivalent of a dinner out for a 6 minute helicopter ride is worth the money.



25. Feat is not a musician. But apparently Little Feat is.


26. I am, and always will be an Olympic Super Fan.



27. People really do say Aloha in Hawaii and wear Hawaiin shirts.


28. British Cadbury's Chocolate is better than Canadian Cabury's Chocolate.


29. A beached whale is really stinky.


30. There is nothing like the high you get from climbing a mountain.

8 comments:

harriet glynn said...

Such an adorable post! Congrats on hitting the big 3-OH with a sunny outlook ;)

Ethno girl said...

Thanks! :) It was fun to go through all these memories from my twenties!

myredbike said...

Awesome post, Kris!

Jennifer said...

So awesome!! I love it! I love that you used photos from our amazing trip too :) Love you so much!

Russ said...

Great pics and thoughts on turning 30 Kristi!
I don't think I did any such respective look at my life when I turned 30. Well done!
Love,
Dad

Star Weiss said...

Wonderful, Kris! Loved it...and am amazed that you found all those pics...what a great retrospective, with such a sense of fun!
Love,Mom

Slobodans said...

Awesome post! The 30's are awesome!

Kirsten said...

This is great Kristi!! I'm glad you're enjoying 30. Maybe I should post 25 things I know at 25...