Monday, June 15, 2009

78. Go to a show at the Stanley Theatre - Les Mis


Although the Stanley Theatre is literally about a block from where I live I had yet to see a show there until this past weekend. For Holly's birthday my parents and I treated her to a night out to see the Arts Club Theatre production of the favourite musical, "Les Misérables". Jean Valjean was played by Kieran Martin Murphy and he definitely carried the show. His voice was spectacular in all of its range and his acting was spot on. The singing in general was strong throughout and I was satisfied with the majority of the casting. The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of full orchestra and the overly synthesized sound, which tended to distract me from the great singing and the production overall. In general, though I enjoyed the show and would definitely go to another Arts Club production (and hopefully at the Stanley theatre!) It was also a lovely evening out with Holly which included a yummy post-production dinner on the patio of Earl's and watching the Penguins win the Stanley Cup right before going to the Stanley Theatre...coincidence? I think not! Go Penguins and Jean Valjean!

1 comment:

Enviro Girl said...

It was a memorable and enjoyable evening - thanks for the great birthday present! I was singing "Bring Him Home" all the way home on the bus!