Thursday, March 12, 2009

Losing my Commodore virginity with K'naan and Esthero


It's true. Before last night I was a Commodore virgin, but now I have finally experienced one of Vancouver's live music hot spots, a place where you never quite know what to expect, or so I hear. Last night I went to see K'naan and Esthero (one of the Cultural Olympiad shows) with some friends. I wasn't that familiar with Esthero, but was told that she was great....maybe only on a CD? From the first moment she was on stage she was unprofessional, rude and kind of offensive and not in a good way. It's not unusual for a singer to have that "I'm so cool, I can swear and say whatever I want" kind of attitude, but every time she spoke I just lost more and more respect for her and couldn't really pay attention to her singing. Her voice is good and she obviously has some talent, but I think she may have been too drunk to really showcase it. My "favourite" moment was when she completely forgot the words to one of her songs and royally screwed it up and stopped the song and started again and told everyone how she'd messed up. Wow, way to win over an audience. Needless to say, I won't be going to any Esthero shows again anytime soon.

The crowd was more than ready for K'naan to get on stage and he lived up to my expectations of him. He was likeable from the get-go, and has the kind of presence where you feel like you want to be his friend and get to know him better. His poetry/rap is so artistic, witty, smart and impressive and he had the audience in the palm of his hand. His natural, easy-going nature was an interesting combination to his politically charged music. He also started his set with one of my favourite songs, "In the Beginning" so that won be over right away :) I only wish the whole night was K'naan and Esthero had passed out drunk and couldn't perform. It would have also been better to have this show on a weekend for poor suckers like me (and others who I was with) who have to work early the next morning! I must be getting old :)

I also bought K'naan's new album, Troubadour, last night and will let you know how I like it. Congrats K'naan on saving the night :) Also, for those who don't know K'naan, he's a Somalian born Canadian hip-hop artist who combines elements of folk, rap and hip-hop into his political and catchy lyrics. As he says, he comes from a "nation of poets" and this is evident in his elegant rhymes. Check out his website.

1 comment:

m said...

Ooh, I'm loosing my Commodore virginity to a Xavier Rudd concert this summer! K'naan is great, although his voice sounds eerily similar to Eminem. Better lyrics though.