Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The joys of public transit


Like many other people, I ride transit every single day. Like many other people, I have a massive list of transit pet peeves. Don't get me wrong, Vancouver has a great transit system and it allows me to live car-free which is great! But....it can be ...well...interesting at times, to put it mildly.

This morning was one of those days when the whole feeling on the bus was not a positive or happy place to be. I usually listen to my iPod to drown out unwanted noise, loud cell phone conversations, fights in the back seat, drug deals etc. etc. Today I was listening to Madonna "Vogue", and suddenly I noticed a bus jam to my right. As usual, people weren't getting out of the way to let people off or on the bus. I think that there really are people in this world who get a kick out of blocking the bus doors during rush hour because I see them every time I get on the bus. Then they act upset and annoyed when they're in the way. For heaven's sake people..."MOVE TO THE BACK OF THE BUS!!" (I just had to get that out.)

So at the Willow stop (I was on the good old 99 B-line) this very large woman slams her way onto the bus yelling at everyone to get out of the bleeping way. I find that often you get some strange folk at the Willow stop since it's right outside the hospital.... I couldn't really tell what was going on, but she basically threw everyone out of her way and planted her body onto a seat in the front. At the next stop another older gentleman got on and sat in the seat next to her....little did he know what he'd gotten into. People continued to jam up the front of the bus and not move out of the way so the man was encouraging people to take the empty seats. Then the large woman flipped out and started yelling at him, "They'll sit down if they bloody well want to! Leave them alone!" he meekly tried to reply and calm her down, but she just got more riled up and she said, and I quote, "Don't you tell me what to do! I'm not your wife! I'm not your slave!!" Oh boy..it was fun. I practically leapt off the bus at my stop. The bus driver was either oblivious or so used to this kind of behavior that he didn't even care anymore.

This is just one bus ride of a typical commute for me. I've had many more adventures and I'm sure I will continue to have even more. Don't you love public transportation?

Here's some of my other pet peeves. Let me know which ones you agree with.

1. People who don't take off their enormous back packs and carelessly knock you over.
2. People who sit on the outside seat when there's a full bus and refuse to move over.
3. People who take up 3 or 4 seats by sprawling out in the middle of the bus.
4. Door blockers, of course.
5. Loud cell phone talkers.
6. People who don't care about personal space and shove their butts in your face when you're sitting.
7. People who insist on moving half their belongings including a bed and a dresser, and some tables during rush hour.
8. Bus drivers who drive like they are out to win the fastest bus driver award and slam on the brakes at every stop sign or intersection, hence throwing you to and fro in the bus and forcing you to get to know your fellow bus riders a little too intimately.

2 comments:

Enviro Girl said...

You raise some valid points. I had a couple race car drivers today and found myself feeling ill on the bus.

However, I do love our transit system and the fact that I can get to any school in Vancouver to teach without needing a car.

Slobodans said...

The funny thing is that as I read your story, I wasn't shocked! Shouldn't that be shocking to me???

All of your 8 points have bothered me at some point but the ones that consistently bother me are: 1,2,5,6 & 8. In fact thinking about them makes me a little angry right now.