Friday, March 2, 2007

Silver Clouds and Heinz 57

I just got back from a week in Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania, you say? But I thought it was all Amish people and handmade furniture? Well, have I got news for you. Pennsylvania is also home to the Hershey Chocolate Factory, Heinz 57, the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philladelphia Cream Cheese. I know, it's crazy! But why would I go there, you ask? Well, for those of you who don't know, my mom is American and grew up in New York, but now our family is scattered all over various parts of the Eastern States. My grandparents moved to a retirement home in Washington, Pennsylvania a few years ago to be near my aunt and uncle. So last week my parents and I flew out to the snowy, cold eastern states for a week long family trip. Between visits to my grandparents at their home, we found other ways of entertaining ourselves such as visiting the vibrant, but not very scenic city of Pittsburgh. While in town we went to a fascinating gallery called the Mattress Factory which had anything BUT mattresses. It was full of instillation art, and art that somehow manipulates space. We went into a room completely devoid of light in order to feel blindness, and my personal favourite was the mirror room which enabled you to see a reflection of yourself looking at the back of yourself. Let that thought blow your mind :) But I think the highlight of the day was at the Andy Warhol museum in a room entitled "Silver Clouds". This is a photo of my cousin, Melissa and I enjoying the wonder of giant silver helium balloons. The other moment of pure joy was when my dad posed under Andy Warhol's self-portrait. This is what family trips are made of.

1 comment:

Jay & Jacinta Slobodan said...

Welcome to the blogging bandwagon. I am excited to read about all of your adventures. And, as a personal favour I will add you to my list of blogs to see. I know, I am too generous!
--Haceenta